By Helene Ravlich
After first being introduced to their ranges almost ten years ago, I fell instantly in love with COOLA. A beautifully packaged collection of organic sun essentials produced out of Southern California, the COOLA range includes a plethora of yummy products that are high performance yet delicate and luxurious enough to compliment any skincare regimen – no matter how fussy, and even after cosmetic procedures – and are kind on the environment. It is produced in limited quantity batches in California (where the company is based), meaning that the range can be reformulated often, taking advantage of new developments in sun science and labelling regulations almost as they happen.
Now, as I learned over a long lunch last week at Euro Bar & Restaurant on Auckland’s Queen’s Wharf, COOLA has become a one-stop shop of sorts with the launch of COOLA Organic Skincare; a natural skincare range designed to nourish and fortify while supporting a healthy skin barrier. As a rosacea sufferer I am all about the maintaining the balance of the skin’s biome, with way too many lines out there offering quick fixes without thinking about keeping a healthy barrier intact. The new COOLA offering is quite the opposite, going beyond a single step in your routine by supporting the skin’s natural barrier and providing protection against environmental stressors.
Each of the seven products in the line is 70+% organic and made using powerful plant-based ingredients that follow sustainable farming practices, support local communities, and reduce the usage of pesticides that contaminate our bodies, waterways, and the environment. In addition, all products are non-GMO, cruelty-free, vegan, and gluten free, and packaged in fully recyclable packaging.
So what’s the official lineup?
* COOLA’s Glowing Greens Detoxifying Facial Cleansing Gel acts like a juice cleanse for your skin, clearing away impurities with nutrient-rich Seaweed Extract, Organic Aloe Juice, Celery Leaf and Cucumber Extracts.
* To gently buff away surface cells, the COOLA Pacific Polish Gentle Sea Salt Facial Exfoliator uses ultra-fine mineral sea salt – while Papaya Extract, and an Ayurvedic Oil blend with coconut and sunflower oils soften and soothe.
* The COOLA Vital Rush Skin Renewal Serum is packed with a rich concentration of ingredients including Camu Camu extract, Goji Berry, and Moringa Oil, to mitigate signs of fatigue and deliver a boost of vital nutrients.
* For ultimate moisturisation, COOLA’s The Great Barrier Cream Fortifying Moisturiser is a powerful yet lightweight organic cream enriched with California Sea Kelp actives and amino-acid rich Blue Algae extract, leave skin feeling resilient and hydrated.
* To give fatigued skin a midday antioxidant boost, COOLA’s Rewakening Rosewater Mist Face Spray uses adaptogenic Ginseng, Cucumber and Green Tea extract and vitamin-rich Damask Rosewater. And yep, it smells amazing!
* Meanwhile, the magically indulgent COOLA Moon Silk Moisture Recharging Mask blends Snow Mushroom and Kakadu Plum extracts for silky smooth, recharged skin. Mushroom is common, highly effective skincare ingredient that has been flying under the radar for some time now, it’s great to see it getting its time in the sun in another new formula!
All products are infused with powerful antioxidants that help fight free radicals, while some offer Full Spectrum 360° complex, which protects from blue light, pollution and other environmental stressors that can affect your skin. COOLA Organic Skincare is perfectly formulated to complement the existing suncare range, providing full SPF protection and skin nourishment when used together.
I’m just cracking into some samples of this exciting new offering, with reviews to come! If you’re a fellow COOLA fan and as excited as I am, COOLA skincare is available right now from www.coola.co.nz, Farmers, Smith & Caughey’s and select beauty therapy clinics.